Friday, February 20, 2009

Let kids be kids

Hi, all. Been busy with an exciting new project with trans-gender people, but more on that later. I want to talk today about something close to my heart - the abuse of children. There is a photograph with me today. It is of a little girl of 9 years, who aspires to act in films. Her fond parents have got a portfolio shot recently. So what is the problem ? You have to see the picture to understand it. She is wearing a little precocious off-shoulder dress, has on professional make-up and jewellery, and has posed in an artlessly, kittenish manner. This picture sends chills down my spine. It is an open invitation to predators. Her parents informed me that they were considering posting it on the Internet. My blood runs cold at the thought. But this is the norm today, isn't it? I know that kids naturally love acting/attracting attention, but at what cost ? Why is it that the parents and the photographer did not see what I see ? DENIAL, that's why. Common sense and the naturally protective instinct of a parent chased away by the dream of having a successful child. Let your kid be a kid, please. She is already successful if she has your love and understanding, and the opportunity to learn. A lot of kids will never know these things.

2 comments:

Sarita said...

I have seen many parents who knowingly push their children into limelight and somehow destroy the child like innocence.In the process the child loses out on enjoying her childhood.
You see incidents around you all the time, children in movies, children in Television.
In my daughter's school the Principal felicitated parents of a 9 year old, as their daughter had acted in a oriya movie. I think it is shameful that we do not have good role models for our children. Where are these strong men and women who had a social conscience, and were recognized for their values and commitment to do something good for the society and community at large.
Today we celebrate Sharukh's metrosexualism (I hope I got that right) Today we celebrate Bipasha's kittenish sexiness( I got that from a magazine), so why should children lag behind. Sad but what action can you take against irresponsible parents.

Sarita

Dr Bismita said...

yes this is very true. I believe that the first and the last friend of a child can be the parents and they should give the child every opportunity to grow as he or she is and not just imposing today's so called modernity on them.