Saturday, January 24, 2009

Mr. Sarat Pujari

Yesterday I met and introduced myself to a gentleman, with whom I had the most interesting conversation. Mr. Sarat Pujari, a brilliant actor, who in a span of fifty years has acted in fifty Oriya movies,he could be called yesteryear's superstar of Oriya movies but prefers calling himself a educationist. He is at ease talking about renaissance painters and Guru Kelucharan's dance and the education system in India and what ails it.

What impressed me about him was his ideas which were young and held a number of questions which probably will remain unanswered. He has reached a stage, (he probably is in his mid seventies) where he can detach himself and look into issues dispassionately. Through out my conversation with him never once did he compare the old with the new, nor did he look into the past, he talked about the present education system and what can be done to improve that. He has been interested in child issues, women empowerment and has been working on these issues with leading NGOs of Orissa, he talked about sexuality education, and child abuse with me, which were touching, realistic and a completely different perspective which made me think. But sadly enough I doubt it if anybody is interested to hear him out. Mr. Pujari himself realizes that people call him to be the Chief Guest because he is an,'ACTOR' not because anybody wants to listen to him.

Lovely man, I do hope I get the opportunity to hear him again.

Sarita.

No comments: