Monday, January 12, 2009

Let me draw your attention to the photograph on this blog site. I believe I took this on 1 Dec 2008. At a candlelight vigil to celebrate World AIDS Day. Take a good look at the picture, please, because I have a question for you. I know all the people in the pic well. You might not. Can you tell me which ones are HIV-positive, recovering addicts, homosexual, or none of the above ? You don't have an answer, do you ? How can you ? The people in the picture don't look any different from you or me, and certainly not out of the ordinary. In fact, they seem to be having a perfectly normal celebration. Look again. And again and again. Nothing will change. Except maybe your perspective has. If yes, send invites to this blog/post on to everyone you know. A small right-click for you, a giant step for human rights. Thanks.

1 comment:

Sarita said...

I just love this photograph, because it celebrates diversity.

The story behind the Photograph brings out the fact, that all of us at some point of time have heard about some quirky story, whispered through our parents social circle or our friends circle about a relative, or somebody known who acted a bit differently, who was probably attracted to same sex, who drank too much, who was a drug user or someone who slept around. Was that more acceptable then and not acceptable now?? Is it more acceptable in affluent class and stigmatized in the not so well of class. One also needs to think of this. Thanks Simi for pointing this out.