Monday, January 26, 2009

Discrimination within discrimination

I recently went to one of the park where we had a get together with all our gay friends. For the first time I realized that there is discrimination within discrimination. I and my so called educated friends in Orissa would like to call ourselves 'gay' and would like to keep ourselves a bit away from our so called uneducated, ill mannered giggling, swaying friends who prefer calling themselves 'durrani' I realized that I would not like people to see me as, 'them' and I really felt a bit ashamed about it.

I would like to ask my friends in ODISHA-One, isn't this discrimination? We call ourselves discriminated, and then within our homosexual friends we have this structure almost like the caste system, where there are 'uppers' and 'lowers', superiors and inferiors.

Can somebody throw some light on this and help me with this concern???

1 comment:

rashmita said...

I also think the same. Today,i interacted with X,a kothi(as u told inferior homosexual groups) & he questioned me how can they fight for their rights with all these diversities. He had a concern that why the transgenders are not accepting their identity. According to them, the gays (they termed as MAICHIA)are snatching their bread & physiologically, they are male. So, how can they belongs to their community!X is also in a turmoil about the same discrimination amoong their community i.e. gay, kothi, Do pati etc.... He was worried for these discrimination among homosexuals. He dreams for a space for homosexuals(LGBTQI)where they can express & live a life with dignity.

So, I think like Lagan, some one has to be Amir Khan & mobilise the community to have a same vision so that we can fight against these stigma & discrimination unitedly.